Kabardino-Balkarian State University began its work on September 1, 1957. In its structure there were 4 faculties: historical - jurisprudence, physical - mathematical, engineering - construction and agricultural. The total number of college departments is 21. 569 students were transferred to study in the first cycle of the new university. The student body totaled over 3,100, including 1,666 full-time students. The teaching staff consists of 170 people including 3 Doctors of Sciences, Professors and 40 Candidates of Sciences.
The first rector of KBSU was Khatota Motovich Berbikov. In the late 1960s - early 1970s KBSU was not only the main academic, but also the scientific center of KBASSR and one of the leading universities in the North Caucasus. Over the years, the number of graduates has increased from 3-4 times, two new faculties have been opened: biological and medicinal chemistry, and a graduate school has appeared. But most importantly, the university's computerization process has begun. The first computers appeared at KBSU, and a computer lab was opened at the university.